Transportation – the physical movement of people and goods – affects every single day in our lives; and so do its key challenges like the aging of the transport infrastructure, road and public transport congestion, inefficient logistics, lack of information and safety risks. We believe that alleviating those problems brings enormous social value and makes our cities a better place to live in. Therefore, we are focusing on adapting advanced ICT technologies to provide a deeper understanding of mobility through analytics, such that we can optimize the control of transport systems and increase the users' awareness of events affecting their journeys by means of connectivity. These are the pillars of our vision of Intelligent Transport Systems.
In an effort started in 2000, we have established NEC’s leadership in short-range vehicular communication based on GeoNetworking. As the technology is moving from research into commercialization phases, we are focusing on selected enhancements and contributing to standardization. Check out our award-winning platforms LinkBird-MX© and C2X-SDK.
Different transportation aspects, such as users, vehicles, road sensors etc., generate data whose potential is largely unexploited. We are focusing on applying and extending (big) data analytics techniques in order to better predict, detect and react to mobility demand and events.
In this area, we are focusing on the optimization of infrastructure and vehicle-based operations like routing and scheduling for fleets/logistics as well as cooperative vehicle speed and trajectory control, with the aim of improving energy efficiency through a higher level of automation.
- NEC will showcase a Collaborative Lane Merging demonstration at the EU FP7 Tomorrow’s Elastic Adaptive Mobility (TEAM) project final event taking place on October 18-19 at the EUREF Campus in Berlin, Germany http://www.collaborative-team.eu/finalevent/ . The TEAM project developed technologies and applications which facilitate and encourage a collaborative behavior among transportation users. The final event includes demonstrations, conference, and exhibitions from the large project consortium members.
- NEC wins another Best Paper Award at IEEE VNC 2014, after IEEE VTC Spring 2014, for its analysis of the DriveC2X large-scale trial communication performance
- NEC successfully participated in the 3rd ETSI ITS Plugtests with its vehicular communication platform (event website)
- NEC demonstrated eco-driving technology at the eCoMove-interactIVe joint final event (press release)
- NEC demonstrated motorway dynamic speed control at the ITS World Congress in Tokyo (press release)
- NEC Europe's CEO, Naoki Iizuka, signs the Car2Car Communication Consortium MoU in which car makers and automotive suppliers commit to commercial deployment of the Car2X systems in Europe starting from 2015
- NEC Europe receives the Frost & Sullivan’s 2012 European Vehicular Communications New Product Innovation Award for its vehicular communications systems LinkBird-MX and C2X-SDK (press release)
- L. Moreira-Matias, V. Cerqueira: “CJAMmer - Traffic Jam Cause Prediction using Boosted Trees”. To appear in Proceedings of 19th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, November (2016)
- C. Wuthishuwong, F. Alesiani: “Locally Growing Rapid Tree (LGRT) Motion Planning for Autonomous Driving”. To appear in Proceedings of 19th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, November (2016)
- L. Moreira-Matias, J. Gama, J. Mendes-Moreira: “Concept Neurons - Handling Drift Issues for Real-Time Industrial Data Mining”, To appear in Proceedings of European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECML-PKDD), September 2016
- M. Boban, A. Festag: “Service-actuated multi-channel operation for vehicular communications”, Elsevier Computer Communications, May 2016
- F. Alesiani, S. Gajek: “Remote Testimony: Trustful Intelligent Vehicles”, Proceedings of the IEEE 83rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring) May 2016, Nanjing, China
- Khiary J., Moreira-Matias L., Cerqueira V. and Cats O.,: “Automated Setting of Bus Schedule Coverage using Unsupervised Machine Learning”. In: Advances in Knowledge Discovery and
- M. Boban, P. M. d'Orey: Exploring the Practical Limits of Cooperative Awareness in Vehicular Communications, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, March 2016
- L. Moreira-Matias, Gama J., Ferreira M., Mendes-Moreira J. and Damas L.,: "Time-Evolving OD Matrix Estimation using high-speed GPS data streams". In: Elsevier Expert Systems with Applications, vol.44, pp. 275-288 (2016)
- T. Leinmueller, M. Boban, A. Brakemeier, R. K. Schmidt and P. Spaanderman, “Multi-channel usage in day 2 and beyond EU V2X systems”, Proceedings of the 22nd ITS World Congress October 2015, Bordeaux, France
- K. Gkiotsalitis, N. Maslekar, “Improving Bus Service Reliability with Stochastic Optimization”, 18th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC) 2015, Las Palmas de Gran Canarias, Spain
- L. Moreira-Matias and F. Alesiani, "Drift3Flow: Freeway-Incident Prediction using Real-Time Learning", 18th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC) 2015, Las Palmas de Gran Canarias, Spain
- W. Viriyasitavat, M. Boban, H.-M. Tsai, A. V. Vasilakos, “Vehicular Communications: Survey and Challenges of Channel and Propagation Models”, IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine June 2015
- P. M. d’Orey, N. Maslekar, I. de la Iglesia, N. Zahariev, “NAVI: Neighbor-Aware Virtual Infrastructure for Information Collection and Dissemination in Vehicular Networks”, in Proceedings of the 81th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Glasgow, Scotland, May 2015
- M. Boban, P. d’Orey,”Measurement-based Evaluation of Cooperative Awareness for V2V and V2I Communication”, Proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Networking Conference (VNC) 2014, December 2014, Best Paper Award
- A. Festag, “Cooperative Intelligent Transport Systems (C-ITS) Standards in Europe”, IEEE Communication Magazine, December 2014
- F. Alesiani, N. Maslekar: “Optimization of Charging Stops for Fleet of Electric Vehicles: A Genetic Approach”, IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine, 2014
- M. Boban, J. Barros, and O. Tonguz: “Geometry-Based Vehicle-to-Vehicle Channel Modeling for Large-Scale Simulation”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2014
- M. Boban, R. Meireles, O. Tonguz, J. Barros, and P. Steenkiste: “TVR – Tall Vehicle Relaying in Vehicular Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, May 2014
- P. M. d’Orey, M. Boban, “Empirical Evaluation of Cooperative Awareness in Vehicular Communications”. Proceedings of the 79th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Seoul, Korea, May 2014, Best Paper Award
- K. Gkiotsalitis, F. Alesiani, R. Baldessari, “Educated Rules for the Prediction of Human Mobility Patterns based on Sparse Social Media and Mobile Phone Data”, Proceedings of the 93rd Annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) 2014, Washington DC, USA, January
- S. Wang, L. Le, N. Zahariev and K. K. Leung, “Centralized Rate Control Mechanism for Cellular-Based Vehicular Networks”, Proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM 2013, Atlanta, USA, December
- M. Boussedjra, N. Maslekar, J. Mouzna, and H. Labiod, “Traffic Signal Control Systems and Car-to-Car Communications” in Vehicular Networks (eds A.-L. Beylot and H. Labiod), John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ USA, June 2013
- F. Alesiani, O. M. Lykkja, A. Festag, R. Baldessari: Cooperative ITS Messages for Green Mobility: An Overview from the eCoMove Project, Proceedings of the 19th ITS World Congress and Exhibition, October
- A. Festag, M. Wieker, N. Zahariev: Safety and Traffic Efficiency Applications for GeoMessaging over Cellular Mobile Networks, Proceedings of the 19th ITS World Congress and Exhibition, October
- M. Gramaglia, C.J. Bernardos, I. Soto, M. Calderon, R. Baldessari: “IPv6 Address Autoconfiguration in Geonetworking-enabled VANETs: Characterization and Evaluation of the ETSI Solution”, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, December
- L. Le, R. Baldessari, P. Salvador, A. Festag, and W. Zhang: “Performance Evaluation of Beacon Congestion Control Algorithms for VANETs”, Ad Hoc and Sensor Networking Symposium, IEEE GLOBECOM 2011, Houston, USA, December
- A. Festag, L. Le, M. Goleva: "Field Operational Tests for Cooperative Systems: A Tussle Between Research, Standardization and Deployment", ACM International Workshop on VehiculAr Inter-NETworking (VANET), Las Vegas, NE, USA, September
- A. Festag, P. Papadimitratos, T. Tielert: "Design and Performance of Secure Geocast for Vehicular Communication", IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Volume 59 , Issue 5, June